Sunday 20 March 2011

Latest hospital appointment

On Thursday i saw the consultant again. This was a routine visit - another 6 month milestone on the way to the all-clear.

He was encouraged by my general progress. I had put on 5 kilos since the last clinic (shortly after the Mallorca trip) and he was quick to recognise the benefits of the surgery, despite its unfortunate timing.

Adhesions (eg semi-obstructed/tangled gut) can persist, undetected, causing niggles for years. Their location is often very difficult to identify, so the risks outweigh the benefits of going hunting for them (surgically) if they haven't become acute.

With mine kicking off as they did - the surgeons got rid of a number of adhesions, including the main culprit, which may well reduce my chances of suffering further complications in the future.
Having said that, by cutting me open again the surgeons will most likely have created new adhesions (the gut doesn't like being disturbed) but hopefully insignificant ones.

I'm continuing on 2 drugs at the moment. A proton pump inhibitor, to suppress stomach acid production and reflux - quite helpful with my new stomach being so near my mouth...!!
And an anti-depressant, which not only has levelled out the troughs, but also the emotional peaks. The balance, however, is truly welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment